Welcome to the Evening Standard’s rolling coverage of the summer transfer window.
The window officially opened in July after the completion of the delayed 2019-2020 Premier League season. Clubs will now be busy tweaking their squads ahead of the new campaign, with the deadline pushed back until October 5.
Tottenham are closing in on a sensational double deal for Gareth Bale and Sergio Reguilon having already signed Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Joe Hart and Matt Doherty during the window.
Arsenal have secured Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s future after signing Willian and Gabriel Magalhaes, while Chelsea have confirmed the £90m arrival of Kai Havertz, having previously signed Thiago Silva, Malang Sarr, Ben Chilwell, Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech – with goalkeeper Edouard Mendy expected to follow this week.
Manchester United have signed Donny van de Beek while working on a deal for Jadon Sancho, while Liverpool are biding their time in pursuit of Thiago Alcantara.
Suarez still in Koeman’s plans
Ronald Koeman says Luis Suarez will be treated like any other player if he ends up staying at Barcelona.
Suarez was left out of the squad for the second match in a row in Barcelona’s Wednesday night friendly against Girona.
“I’ve spoken to him about his future and we are waiting to see whether or not he leaves, we still don’t know,” Koeman told Catalan network TV3 after the win over Girona.
“But we respect every contract here and if in the end he does not find a club and he stays, he will be just like any other player in the squad.”
Ancelotti responds to Everton links with Chelsea’s Tomori
Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti has responded to transfer speculation linking the club with a move for Chelsea’s Fikayo Tomori, admitting that signing a centre-back before the end of the window has become a priority.
“Holgate is out and Jarrad we don’t know his injury and how bad it is, we have to look tomorrow,” said Ancelotti.
“There is a possibility to find a centre-back and I think we have to.
“The Holgate update is that he doesn’t need the surgery so maybe he can recover earlier than normal but I think we can manage until Mason comes back with three centre-backs no problem.”
The Italian was keen on a loan deal for Chelsea’s Fikayo Tomori but he is also attracting interest from Rennes and Everton’s pursuit has gone somewhat cold.
“I am not talking about players that are not here,” was his response when asked about Tomori.
Click here for the full story.
Reguilon deal ‘done’ and Bale not far away
Transfer news guru Fabrizio Romano has provided an update on Tottenham’s pursuits of Sergio Reguilon and Gareth Bale.
Anderton: ‘Bale is exactly what Tottenham need’
Former Tottenham winger Darren Anderton believes Gareth Bale is ‘exactly what Spurs need’ with the Welshman on the verge of returning to club after seven years at Real Madrid.
“To come back to somewhere where you are loved really does make sense,” Anderton told talkSport. “It has to be great for all parties and after watching the game on Sunday oh boy do Spurs need it, someone who can go and win a game with a bit of magic and creativity and flair.
“He has a great mentality, he carried the Wales team, he carried the Tottenham team when he was here, winning games on his own. He is exactly what Spurs need. This is one that everyone is very excited about.
“He has still got that speed and once he gets going you can’t catch him. He scores goals, makes goals, he does it all.”
Click here for the full story.
Roma still interested in Arsenal midfielder
Roma have not dropped their interest in signing Lucas Torreria from Arsenal.
Fiorentina and Torino have been closely linked with the midfielder but Calciomercato.it report Roma are still interested in bringing him to the Stadio Olimpico.
Arsenal’s goalkeeper hunt
Following Emiliano Martinez’s move to Aston Villa, Arsenal are now tracking Dijon’s Runar Alex Runarsson.
The Gunners are in talks with Dijon and it is hoped a deal can be done for around £1.5m, with the 25-year-old Iceland international ready to sign a long-term contract.
Click here for the full story.
MAN UTD NEWS
Man United want Amad Traore
Manchester United have added Atalanta’s Amad Traore to their list of right-wing targets, report the Mirror.
Any deal would not be as an alternative to Jadon Sancho and contact between the clubs over a deal has already been established.
Traore, just 18 years old, is attracting plenty of interest across Europe and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to snap him up before competition for his signature intensifies.
Reguilon having Tottenham medical
Sergio Reguilon is at Tottenham’s training ground as the Real Madrid defender closes in on a move to the club.
Reguilon is expected to cost around £25million, with Tottenham agreeing to include a number of clauses in the deal.
Real Madrid will have the option to buy back the 23-year-old for around £36m within two years and meet any fee Spurs agree with another club.
Should the deal be finalised on Thursday, the club will be able to Reguilon in time for Sunday’s trip to Southampton.
Click here for the full story
Kolasinac to leave Arsenal?
Bayer Leverkusen are working on a deal to sign Arsenal full-back Sead Kolasinac, Sport Bild reports.
The Bundesliga side will hold talks with the 27-year-old over a move back to Germany.
Arsenal are said to want around €10 million (£9m/$12m) for him.
Bale closer than ever to leaving Real, says agent
Gareth Bale is edging closer to agreeing a deal to return to Tottenham, according to the forward’s agent.
Standard Sport understands that Spurs remained locked in talks with Real Madrid regarding a deal for Bale on Wednesday morning.
While Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho refused to discuss speculation, a move would appear to be close with Jonathan Barnett confirming on Wednesday evening talks are “slowly progressing.”
“Gareth is closer to leaving Madrid than at any time in last seven years,” Barnett told BBC Sport.
“We are still negotiating. We shall see how it goes.”
Bale could complete return this week
The Guardian report Tottenham are confident a deal to bring Gareth Bale back to north London can be confirmed by the end of the week.
The report adds an agreement has been reached for Real to pay part of Bale’s wages, thought to be £600,000 a week.
Bale and Reguilon pass medicals?
Reports in Spain tonight claim Sergio Reguilon and Gareth Bale have BOTH completed medicals ahead of their moves to Tottenham.
To be taken with a pinch of salt for now, perhaps.
Another update on Dele Alli as Fabrizio Romano claims he WAS offered to Real Madrid on loan and has been offered to “many clubs.”
Writing on his Instagram, the Sky Italy journalist claims: “Dele Alli is not part of the Gareth Bale deal with Real Madrid.
“He has been offered to Real on loan as to many other clubs but is not included in Bale negotiations.
“Different deal and Real Madrid are not focused on Alli in this moment.”
Dele left out of Spurs squad
Tottenham left Dele Alli and Toby Alderweireld behind on Wednesday as they flew out to Bulgaria for their Europa League play-off.
Jose Mourinho revealed at his pre-match press conference that he was leaving eight senior players at home but still planned on fielding a strong line-up against Lokomotiv Plovdiv.
The identities of the eight were not confirmed by Mourinho, though Standard Sport understands Alli and Alderweireld are staying at Hotspur Way.
Alli, who was withdrawn at half-time against Everton on Sunday, was briefly linked with a move to Real Madrid on Tuesday night as part of negotiations for Gareth Bale.
Reports that Alli’s omission is related to uncertainty over his future are thought to be wide of the mark with the midfielder firmly part of Jose Mourinho’s plans.
Inter see Partey bid rejected
Atletico Madrid have rejected an offer for Thomas Partey and insist the midfielder will not leave for a penny less than his release clause.
Partey remains firmly on Arsenal’s radar but so far the Gunners have refused to meet his €50m release clause.
Tutto Mercato report Inter have approached Atletico Madrid and offered Marcelo Brozovic as part of a swap deal for the Ghana international.
But Atletico have knocked back an opening offer.
Arsenal to make €40m Aouar bid
Arsenal are poised to make a €40m bid for Houssem Aouar, according to Téléfoot Chaine.
The Gunners have been heavily linked with the France international and with extra money in the coffers following the sale of Emiliano Martinez to Aston Villa, a deal could still yet happen.
Lyon however are believed to be holding out for £55.5million.
MAN UTD NEWS
Solskjaer reassures Sancho over United move
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told Jadon Sancho he believes his move to Manchester United will be sealed soon.
United are still not willing to meet Dortmund’s asking price of €120m – with one of the transfer sagas of the summer dragging into the final weeks of the window.
But according to Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet, Solskjaer is confident a deal will be done with the United boss reassuring the England international the move will be set in motion soon.
Surely this is good enough for the top four this season?
ICYMI: Bayern back in for Hudson-Odoi
Bayern Munich have revived their interest in Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, according to Sky in Germany.
Bayern made several bids in January – the latest worth up to £35m – but saw their offers knocked back.
Their interest has since cooled but the increased competition for places at Chelsea after an unprecedented transfer splurge means Bayern could move for Hudson-Odoi once more.
The 19-year-old signed a new five-year deal last September.
CRYSTAL PALACE NEWS
Crystal Palace are hoping to beat Sheffield United to the loan signing of Liverpool starlet Rhian Brewster, Sky Sports are reporting.
The 19-year-old is set to head out on loan to a Premier League club for the 2020/21 campaign after catching the eye with Swansea last season.
Palace want to bolster their strikeforce despite already capturing Michy Batshuayi, while Sheffield United remain in the running to sign the England Under-21 international.
Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.
During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.